Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) seeks a Senior Writer to join the RISD Alumni Magazine staff and the department of Institutional Advancement. Reporting to the RISD Alumni Magazine Editor, the Senior Writer will write, edit, develop and curate strategic content for RISD’s alumni magazine in both its digital and print forms, as well as other Institutional Advancement (IA) print and digital publications as needed. The content produced will align with the programming, mission, vision and values of RISD and the IA Strategic Plan. The Senior Writer’s work will ultimately reflect RISD’s high standards for art and design, and our commitment to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion.
We seek a culturally competent candidate who will thrive in a campus environment that is committed to advancing the principles of social equity and inclusion, environmental and climate justice, and equal access to resources and opportunities.
- Plan, write and edit the RISD Alumni Magazine (digital and print) ensuring alignment with RISD Alumni Magazine Editor and Associate Editor.
- Implement magazine/digital content strategy, priorities and metrics.
- Serve as senior writer for RISD’s Alumni Magazine (digital and print), including Front of Book pieces, features and Back of Book articles.
- Manage writing assignments, from identifying story ideas through reporting, editing and revision, and publication online and in print.
- Regularly update the digital magazine to ensure it contains dynamic content.
- Attend institutional events to mine for potential magazine content.
- Develop working relationships across the RISD community, especially with alumni, faculty and students in order to develop story ideas for the magazine, and other publications as needed.
- Manage student workers and freelancers, as needed, to mine selected campus events for stories, and assist with development of content.
- Review to ensure content is supported by high quality photography, videography, audio and graphics (digital and print where appropriate).
- Produce general content for IA, including Momentum magazine, alumni website and IA collateral, as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Work collaboratively with other members of IA to support department initiatives, plans and projects.
- Represent IA at events or other engagements with campus partners
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum five years of experience writing for magazines and digital media.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of divisional and institutional colleagues, within an environment that values diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to produce outstanding written content that is positioned to serve defined strategic objectives including finding and writing stories that will serve as proof points for the importance of RISD’s art and design education.
- Experience working in a CMS, and demonstrated expertise in the use of Microsoft Office, Adobe, CRM/database, Google Apps (G Suite) and Asana, or similar project management collaboration tools.
- Proven reporting skills; ability to gather and synthesize information.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation; ability to work independently, meet deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
- Excellent news judgment and ability to identify trending topics that will resonate and transport readers.
- Ability to develop ideas and use narrative storytelling.
- Ability to collaborate closely with internal and external stakeholders and provide solution-driven, positive thinking in a team environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or a related degree preferred.
- Experience working in higher education is preferred.
- Knowledge of AP Style and Chicago Manual of Style is preferred.