Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization’s impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
DREAM is seeking a bold, values-based leader to join its Advancement Team as the Senior Director of Development. Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the Senior Director of Development will also work closely with the co-CEO and DREAM’s Board of Directors to design, articulate, and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy for the organization that is aligned to achieve its ambitious strategic plan. This is an exciting opportunity to serve as a leader on a team that raises over $20 million annually to implement DREAM’s extended-day, extended year school model that is focused on the whole child and driving extraordinary impact in its communities.This person would develop and lead DREAM's experienced frontline fundraisers to build a best-in-class major gifts program.
- In collaboration with the Chief Advancement Officer and other Advancement team members, lead the fundraising team in implementing a comprehensive fundraising strategy aligned with the organization's’ goals and priorities;
- Partner with and support the Chief Advancement Officer, co-CEOs, and Board of Directors in advancing DREAM’s fundraising goals;
- Work closely with the Board, Junior Board, and Alumni Council to inspire greater participation in development efforts, capitalizing on the resources, talents, and networks that the Board offers;
- Motivate, coach, and manage members of the Advancement team to ensure professional growth and attainment of team-wide and individual goals;
- Strategically leverage DREAM’s schools, programs and staff as a cultivation tool for donors, foundations, and other partners interested in supporting DREAM’s mission;
- Steward and grow the pipeline of major gift donors and manage a portfolio of individual and corporate donors, including the direct solicitation of major gifts and planned giving;
- Oversee an institutional foundations and corporate partnerships program that identifies, cultivates, and sustains multi-year partnerships that provide long-term sustainability for the organization;
- Provide support for the planning, execution, and follow-up to fundraising events including our signature fundraising event, DREAM Gala;
- Partner with Managing Director of Advancement Strategy & Operations on building infrastructure for streamlined fundraising operations with a particular focus on alignment between development and finance teams;
- Monitor key fundraising innovations and philanthropic issues and provide recommended actions to the Chief Advancement Officer;
- Reinforce a culture of philanthropy among all staff, volunteers, and donors;
- Support the Chief Advancement Officer, Co-CEOs, and Board of Directors in other development-related initiatives as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Extensive experience as a fundraiser and/or in sales with a proven track record of success in personally cultivating, soliciting, and securing major gifts;
- A strategic thinker with a relentless focus on improving systems, coordinating efforts, using data to drive decision making, and an unwavering commitment to reaching goals;
- A proven track record of success in team leadership and developing people;
- Sustained successful leadership achieving fundraising goals in an executive role in a nonprofit organization;
- Proven ability for bringing together different departments within an organization to work together toward a shared vision and goals;
- An ability to secure funding from diverse sources – including major donors, foundations, and corporations;
- Demonstrated ability to leverage government support. Success designing and managing comprehensive campaigns to secure both operating and capital funding;
- A commitment to diversity, specifically, the ability to interact professionally with dedicated Board and staff members who have diverse backgrounds, professional skills, and perspectives;
- Flexibility and a proven ability to innovate and find creative solutions to challenges;
- A working knowledge of the New York City funding community, its leaders and trends;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- A strong belief in the mission and values of DREAM, including the desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community.
- DREAM offers a competitive salary commensurate with relevant experience with the potential for an annual performance-based increase. The incoming salary range for this position is $145,000 to $165,000. New hires are typically brought into the organization at a salary closer to the start of the range depending on qualifications and internal equity. All staff are eligible for annual performance-based increases.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for medical plans and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time and paid holidays, referral bonuses, professional development, an employee assistance program (EAP) and a 403(b) plan with employer matching up to 4%.
DREAM's VACCINATION POLICY
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.