The Director of Development (DOD) is responsible for executing on key development strategies to help meet annual fundraising goals from recurring and new institutional funders and major donors (2023 goal is $9M). Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, this position is an exciting opportunity to help grow APA’s fundraising goals significantly over the next few years. The Director of Development will take the lead in crafting articulation of our new strategic work and writing key content pieces that support fundraising efforts. America’s Promise is in Year Two of a new strategic plan, designed in response to what youth-supporting nonprofit leaders say they need and want during a consequential time. Our reimagined Alliance is a community of the most inspiring youth-supporting organizations working to strengthen our organizations, to launch new collaborations, and to build powerful coalitions in pursuit of systemic change. This position is for someone who is passionate about rallying support for a powerful new community that seeks to collectively improve outcomes and increase opportunity for young people across the country.
In its 25th year, America’s Promise Alliance is at a pivotal and exciting stage in its evolution, launching a comprehensive next chapter and new strategy. Learn more about our reimagined Alliance community here and access the complete 2022-2026 strategic plan here.
The major components of this role include grant writing and reporting, prospect researching, meeting preparation, and fundraising operations. The key responsibilities include:
- Write letters of inquiry, proposal preparation, and draft outreach emails to prospective and current institutional funders
- Manage existing grants and provide timely updates and budget submissions to funders according to reporting deadlines
- Execute fundraising strategies to identify and secure corporate and foundation support
- Oversee the creation of meeting briefs to ensure relevant funder information is available and appropriately disseminated in preparation for meetings with prospective and current donors
- Improving and maintaining a relationship management system using Salesforce, being the primary person to track new outreach and ongoing cultivation with prospective and current partners
- Collaborate with Communications team to highlight partners on the website and on social and to create relevant collateral (updates, giving opportunities) to share with funders
- Act as a project manager for special fundraising initiatives and place-based events
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Development
Competencies & Experience
- Have 5+ years of experience, with relevant role(s) in development or philanthropy
- Excellent writing skills and ability to articulate the mission and new strategic vision of America’s Promise Alliance to key external audiences
- Strong organizational skills and a systems-mindset, including the ability to prioritize, manage processes, and meet deadlines
- Accountability to outcomes, having prior experience being accountable to a fundraising goal
- Ability to adapt and persist through challenges
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial / startup environment
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Proactivity/Ability to take initiative
- Openness & responsiveness to feedback and coaching
- Enthusiasm for the work and contribution to building positive organizational culture
- Comfortable working primarily in a virtual environment
Location, Compensation, & Benefits
- APA’s team is searching for the best talent regardless of location, as such please note that APA’s team is largely remote and location is flexible within the United States.
- Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience with a range of $80,000-$95,000.
- America’s Promise Alliance offers a generous benefits package that extends beyond health care coverage to help provide team members with a work-life balance that includes professional development, retirement savings, self-managed vacation, and more.
America’s Promise Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively seek and welcome diversity of all types on the America’s Promise team. America’s Promise is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive.