Executive Director - “I Have A Dream” Foundation New Jersey
About the “I Have A Dream “ Foundation
The "I Have A Dream" Foundation, provides individualized social, emotional, and academic support to young people ("Dreamers") from under-resourced communities from prekindergarten through college. We believe that when given equal access to the resources they need to succeed, all children can ignite their innate potential and achieve their dreams. Since "I Have A Dream" was founded by Eugene Lang in 1981, we have served nearly 18,000 Dreamers in over 200 programs nationally.
“I Have A Dream'' Foundation, New Jersey (IHDFNJ) was founded in 2006. Today, IHDFNJ partners with the 13th Avenue School (pre-K-8th grade) in Newark and is positioned to expand its reach to more children, schools and cities across New Jersey.
About the Opportunity
The Executive Director will lead a small, yet mighty organization with a proven model for success beyond secondary school and into career success. We seek ambitious and entrepreneurial candidates who are eager to catalyze IHDFNJ’s next chapter towards programmatic and regional expansion, including leading a strategic planning process and fundraising for growth. Candidates must demonstrate a keen awareness of the lives of our Dreamers and be passionate advocates for educational equity.
IHDFNJ has two employees, an AmeriCorps member and a 2023-24 budget of $650k+, with opportunities to reach $1 million based on one time grants.
As Executive Director, you will be responsible for the following threads of work:
Organizational Strategy & Execution
- Lead an organization that supports students to empower their dreams and equip them with the academic skills, sound judgment and personal values to ensure a successful journey through the educational system and entrance to career opportunities
- Develop and execute IHDFNJ’s strategic plan in 2024 and monitor progress toward goals
- Oversee human resources and financial management, including budgeting, forecasting, reporting, benefits, and employee relations
- Serve as the primary spokesperson and champion for IHDFNJ and partner with the Board to develop and implement a communications and marketing strategy
Team Leadership and Management
- Oversee IHDFNJ’s efforts to center diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in all decision-making, organizational practices, and culture
- Nurture a transparent and compassionate culture and team through high level support and accountability for ambitious outcomes, where staff can bring their whole selves to work and productively and openly engage in critical conversations
- Develop a staffing structure as the organization scales and hire for new positions as needed
- Partner with the board of trustees, national IHDF and IHDFNJ staff to create and implement programming
Fundraising and Board Leadership
- Cultivate, steward, and develop new relationships with community partners and funders to reach organizational growth and sustainability goals
- Develop and implement fundraising strategies to secure financial support from various sources, including foundations, corporations, and individual donors
- Develop support, and work collaboratively with a strong Board of Directors; seek and build Board engagement with strategic direction for effective operations, impactful programming, resource development, and community partnership. Recruit new board members as needed
- Serve on and support the leadership of board committees
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
- An eye for innovation and the courage to take risks to pursue new ideas
- Experience in strategic planning, partnerships and positioning an organization for growth, a strong desire to help as many students as possible
- Experience managing budgets and forecasting financial performance
- Experience with an evidence-based approach to programmatic work
- Progressive senior-level leadership experience leading, managing, and growing a performance and outcomes-based department, organization, or enterprise, preferably within the educational, nonprofit, or philanthropic sectors
- Exceptional oral and written communication and public engagement skills, including adapting style and approach to diverse constituencies and needs
- Self-motivated problem solver that possesses the ability to collaborate and coordinate effectively with colleagues, Board Members, external partners, and team members
- A proven track record and passion for fundraising with a commitment to maintaining current funders, a zest for cultivating new donors and revenue streams, and a history of taking organizations to the next level of sustained philanthropic support
SALARY + BENEFITS
This is a full-time, exempt position with a base salary of $100,000 and opportunities for increase based on the achievement of agreed upon fundraising and programmatic targets. The exact salary offered will be determined through consideration of the successful candidate’s skills and experience. The Executive Director will also be eligible for a bonus after completing their first year tied to achieving their goals. The Foundation offers competitive health, dental and vision benefits, and time-off benefits.
IHDFNJ also offers a comprehensive benefits package including
- 401k with a 4% company match
- 80% Employer paid medical insurance through Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield
IHDFNJ does not have a central office and will expect the Executive Director to work remotely and at a partner school in Newark. With growth, the Foundation will provide office space for the IHDFNJ team as needed. Occasional travel will be required for organizational events, stakeholder meetings, annual IHDF conference and connections with staff and board.
TIMELINE + PROCESS
Interested candidates are encouraged to promptly submit their application through our online portal. All applicants will receive a response to their application within two weeks of submission. Please email email@example.com with questions or for support submitting your application. While subject to change, candidates elected to advance throughout the process can expect a phone interview with Positively Partners, an interview with members of the Hiring Committee, and, for finalists, an interview day with staff and stakeholders, including a robust and holistic reference check process.