About Overdeck Family Foundation:
Overdeck Family Foundation (“the Foundation”) was founded in 2011 by John and Laura Overdeck with the goal of providing all children the opportunity to unlock their potential. The Foundation focuses exclusively on enhancing education, funding efforts both inside and outside of school in the areas of early childhood, informal STEM education, and K-9 programs that include supporting educators and student-centered learning environments. Our grantmaking and strategic support focus on unlocking innovation, evidence, and growth opportunities for organizations that are committed to accelerating key academic and socioemotional outcomes for all children. The Foundation funds both direct impact organizations and ecosystem efforts that clear the path to scale for our grantees and the work that they do.
At the Overdeck Family Foundation, we achieve our impact through collaboration, fostering a culture of curiosity and learning, and living our core values to drive meaningful change. Visitwww.overdeck.org for more information.
The Portfolio Associate Position:
Overdeck Family Foundation seeks to hire a full-time Portfolio Associate to support its grantmaking focused on out-of-school learning, with a primary focus on the Inspired Minds portfolio and a secondary focus on the Early Impact portfolio. Reporting to the Portfolio Manager, Inspired Minds, the Associate will source new grantees; analyze and synthesize research, data, and field trends to facilitate learning; support grantee data collection and analysis; and efficiently manage the grantmaking workflow of the portfolio. The ideal candidate is results-driven, enthusiastic, a keen learner, flexible, proactive, and collaborative. They should possess strong analytical skills and be able to compile and analyze data effectively to support insights and learning.
The Inspired Minds portfolio seeks to build the next generation of creative problem-solvers by expanding access to engaging and challenging STEM learning experiences that deepen family engagement, build STEM mindsets, and inspire students with joyful and rigorous learning.
What You’ll Help Us Do:
Facilitate continuous learning, improvement, and data-informed decision-making
- Analyze and visualize data to inform decision-making, develop grant recommendations, and facilitate learning with external partners
- Maintain an up-to-date, complete database of all current and potential grantees to support analysis, learning, decision-making, and reporting
- Synthesize and elevate research, trends, and changes in the national landscapes surrounding STEM, out-of-school time, and philanthropy, to inform portfolio strategy
- In partnership with the Foundation’s Strategic Impact and Learning (SIL) team, deepen understanding of grantee impact by creatively and rigorously applying evidence, grantee data, insights from research, and input from experts
Ensure portfolio operations run smoothly
- Efficiently manage the logistics of the portfolio, including grantmaking, grantee support, and events
- Utilize the CRM system (GivingData) and internal goals tracker to ensure timely and accurate data management
- Proactively identify and act on opportunities for operational improvements in collaboration with peer Portfolio Associates
- Support Portfolio Manager with grantee check-ins, events, and meetings
Find and fund impactful, scalable organizations
- Help us develop a more open and diverse pipeline of potential grantees that expand access to engaging and challenging STEM learning experiences
- Conduct due diligence research on potential grantee organizations, use your critical thinking and analytical skills to examine organizations’ impact and scale potential, and make recommendations to Portfolio Manager about strategic alignment and organizational fit
- Contribute to concise and clear grant recommendations to the Foundation’s Board
Support Portfolio Manager to help grantees grow their impact
- Partner with internal colleagues and external contractors to plan and coordinate the execution of capacity-building support for our grantees
- Drive new approaches to support meaningful knowledge sharing and collaboration among our grantees and partners
Who You Are:
Results-driven and reliable. You’re goal-oriented and do what it takes to get the job done well, and consistently seek to improve and grow. You say what you mean with excellent verbal and written communication. You balance attention to detail with big-picture thinking to prioritize effectively.
A strategist with a high capacity to compile and analyze data. You are able to adeptly understand a problem, identify potential solutions, and narrow those solutions through a cost-benefit analysis lens. You are able to analyze complex datasets to tell clear and accurate stories.
Enthusiastic. You have a passion for innovation and excellence in education. You enjoy learning, collaborating, and having fun while working hard to improve outcomes for kids. You’re motivated by the Foundation’s mission of unlocking every child’s potential and its approach to funding promising ideas and solutions.
A smart, eager learner. You take a nuanced and rigorous approach to your work, both able to act on well-informed hypotheses and willing to change your mind. You use your critical thinking and quantitative analysis skills to see patterns, guide smart decision-making, and evaluate opportunities. You’re comfortable with data and enthusiastic about what the data can teach us.
Flexible and proactive. Your flexible, self-starting style helps you move quickly from one task to another and manage multiple projects at once. You take ownership of your work and aren’t afraid to solve problems creatively. You’re open to new projects and opportunities and get excited by the possibility that comes with ambiguity.
Collaborative. While you work well independently, you thrive as part of a team. You’re comfortable building relationships, both within and beyond the organization, because you are kind, thoughtful, and curious. You ask insightful questions and listen with a desire to empathetically understand.
What You’ve Done:
- Minimum of two years of work experience
- Work experience in education, consulting, data analysis, impact investing, research and/or product management is preferred
- Subject matter proficiency in out-of-school time learning, STEM, early childhood, or family engagement is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Working at Overdeck Family Foundation:
The base pay for this role is $80,000-$90,000, with potential additional compensation and benefits, including discretionary bonuses, health and dental plans, wellness programs, and 401(k) contributions. The compensation range aligns with our expectations, reserving the top end for qualified candidates who fully meet the required skills, qualifications, and experience.
Overdeck Family Foundation requires all employees to live within a commutable distance from the office in the SoHo neighborhood of New York City. Each week, employees must work in the office on Tuesdays and additional “team days” for collaboration, with the option to work remotely on all other days. Perks of being in the office include on-site gyms with laundry service, wellness classes, snacks and beverages, and a casual dress code in our beautiful office.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Overdeck Family Foundation is dedicated to the work of unlocking every child’s potential. We are committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the children in the education system we aim to support—in race, gender, age, culture, and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve our mission will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to race, color, age, religion, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, and prior protected activity. By submitting this online application form, you consent to be contacted via email with important updates and other information from RCG Talent Solutions.