The Development Associate will support fundraising activities for Vote Mama’s PAC, 501(c)(3) Foundation, and 501(c)(4) Lobby. This role will help cultivate and maintain relationships with individual donors and institutional partners. The Development Associate will work closely with the Chief Development Officer and Founder/CEO on relationship management, grants, and meetings with funders.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who is detail oriented and eager to help build and execute systems to create a strong foundation for a growing development team, and is excited to build skills in a variety of facets of development work from data management to cultivation to events and writing.
The Development Associate will report to Corie Pope Lieberman, Chief Development Officer.
Required Skills for this Role
- 4+ years of experience in donor cultivation and management.
- Experience implementing a fundraising and donor engagement strategy, especially one across more than one entity, including a PAC, 501 (c)(3), or 501(c)(4).
- Strong written and verbal communications skills to convey Vote Mama’s mission and impact to donors
- Experience in donor prospecting, communications, acknowledgement, and relationship building
- Experience in writing proposals and grant reports
- Experience in planning events, especially for donors
- Experience using Salesforce, or a similar CRM, and donor research platforms
- Commitment to Vote Mama’s goals and theory of change, and passion for grassroots organizing and commitment to progressive policy change
- Must be creative, strategic, collaborative, and organized, with keen attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and to exercise sound judgment and discretion.
We Hope You Bring One or More of These Bonus Skills
- Experience in both nonprofit and political fundraising
- Ability and comfort to do cold outreach with a persistent attitude
- Experience in building relationships across a variety of audiences
- Experience working in a scaling startup and/or mission-driven organization
Support Individual Giving Strategy
- Draft communications and outreach for new and existing donors.
- Identify potential donors through prospect research
- Plan and execute events for donors
- Manage donor acknowledgements for all gifts
- Draft grant proposals in collaboration with the VoteMama team to include key opportunities and lines of work
- Draft grant reports for donors in a timely, thorough manner
Support Institutional Giving
- Support the CDO and CEO in meetings with institutional donors by collecting information, taking notes, drafting followup communications, and more.
- Identify potential institutional partners, and proactively develop a strategy to build relationships with them
- Enter and maintain donor contact information in Salesforce database
- Enter and maintain donation information in Salesforce database
- Manage revenue tracker and coordinate with Accountant to ensure accuracy of revenue records.
A typical day
On a typical day, this role will coordinate with the development team and other internal stakeholders supporting development work for each of the organizational entities. Projects might include data input, drafting solicitation communications and correspondence, supporting event planning, and scheduling fundraising meetings.
Working at Vote Mama
- This position is a remote in the DC/NY area and requires travel for in-person events as needed.
- Health Insurance: group medical insurance, group dental insurance, group vision insurance, and DCFSA/ FSA.
- Health FSA and Dependent Care FSA.
- Paid Time Off: paid federal holidays, unlimited vacations and sick days, six months of paid family leave.
- 401(k): upon three months of employment, access to a 401(k) retirement plan with matching up to 3%.
If you don’t meet all of the requirements and believe you’re a good fit, we absolutely encourage you to apply and tell us why!
Timeline and process: We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and will
continue to interview until filled. We are planning for 2-3 rounds of interviews, all between 30 and 60 minutes via Zoom, in addition to a hiring exercise. While we are looking for the right match, the ideal start date is November 13th, 2023.
As an equal opportunity employer, Vote Mama encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.
Vote Mama prides itself on practicing the values we advocate. We are a family-friendly workplace committed to a culture prioritizing both the importance of the work we do and balance with life outside of work. Because we recognize the necessity of an intersectional approach to advocacy, we actively seek to broaden the scope of our collective lived experiences in our hiring practices.