We uplift fathers and strengthen families nationwide through service, love, and encouragement.
Director of Finance
About Father’s Uplift
Fathers’ UpLift is the country’s first mental health and substance abuse treatment facility for fathers and families, helping fathers become and remain emotionally stable for their children. The organization uses peer coaching, father-child therapy, training, youth programs, and support for incarcerated and recently released fathers to honor and rehabilitate the relationship between thousands of fathers and families in the Boston area. In their outpatient clinic, over 800 fathers and families receive mental health services from clinicians trained in trauma who reflect the population being served. Outside of the clinic, Fathers' UpLift partners with community centers, substance abuse programs, and other agencies to build a holistic approach to helping fathers rebuild their lives and their relationship with their families.
Since our beginning in 2011, Fathers' Uplift has been making a profound impact on families across the nation. Through our dedicated efforts and with the support of our community, we have uplifted and empowered more than 13,000+ fathers and family members, instilling a sense of hope and optimism for their futures. The results have been truly inspiring, with an overwhelming 91.5% of the fathers we have served expressing newfound hope and confidence after receiving our services.
We have trained over 3,700+ social workers, mental health professionals, and other dedicated individuals in Fathers' Uplift’s effective methods.
Together, we are changing lives, strengthening families, and creating a brighter future for all those we touch.
About the Position
Fathers' Uplift seeks a skilled and thorough Director of Finance to join our team. As Director of Finance, you will provide essential leadership in managing our financial resources efficiently and strategically. The Director of Finance will lead and collaborate with our finance consultants at Your Part Time Controller and be the driving force behind optimizing resources and preparing comprehensive financial reports for our Chief Operating Officer, and Board of Directors. Working closely with our COO, you will play a vital role in ensuring that Fathers' Uplift’s operational plans are realized, all while staying true to our mission, vision, and values.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a finance professional to make a profound difference and be part of something truly meaningful. Join us at Fathers' Uplift and be a catalyst for transformative change in the lives of countless families, empowering fathers and uplifting communities to a brighter future.
Reporting directly to the COO, the Director of Finance will be responsible for overseeing both the accounting personnel and the billing staff dedicated to handling State Contracts.
Financial System Management:
- Identify and implement solutions to improve the organization's financial functions, leveraging new technologies and programs to enhance efficiencies and streamline processes.
- Collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) to develop, recommend, and implement sound fiscal policies, procedures, and controls consistent with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and organization policies.
Financial Data Accuracy & Reporting:
- Manage day-to-day financial tasks, including grants management, accounts payable and receivable, purchasing, bank reconciliations, insurance, and tax reporting, while also planning and managing cash flow.
- Prepare, analyze, and present accurate and timely financial reports, effectively communicating monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements. Develop metrics, key performance indicators, and dashboards to support departmental and organizational growth.
- Collaborate with development teams to assemble budgets and financial reports for all donor segments, overseeing financial, project/program, and grants accounting.
- Own the monthly close process for the organization's books and records.
- Supervision of the Payroll function
Financial Modeling & Forecasting:
- Monitor financial performance by developing forecasts, analyzing results, measuring variances, and providing recommendations for corrective actions.
- Develop and utilize financial systems and models to forecast, report, and analyze revenue and expenses beyond the current fiscal year, enabling informed long-term decision-making for the organization.
Compliance & Risk Management:
- Maintain recordkeeping and record retention practices in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Ensure full compliance with grant requirements, contract obligations, funder covenants, and governmental regulations.
- Lead and supervise the Audit process
- Oversee and lead the annual budget development process in close collaboration with organizational senior leadership.
- Monitor budgets versus actuals and make informed financial decisions aligned with the organization's policies and procedures.
- Prepare budgets for funding applications and ensure proper revenue recognition procedures are followed once grants and contracts are secured.
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- 8+ years of management-level experience in nonprofit financial management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP, particularly of different types of revenue recognition including fund accounting and fee for service income.
- Excellent skill in financial planning and analysis.
- Demonstrated strength in presenting information effectively and responding to needs and questions from different internal and external audiences.
- Ability to formulate, initiate and administer policies and procedures for effective fiscal control.
- Experience managing government funds.
- Track record of success implementing integrated systems within finance and accounting that promote accountability and streamlined processes.
- Ability to complete responsibilities accurately and in a timely manner, often with strict and/or conflicting deadlines.
- Master’s degree; MBA or CPA preferred
- Experience w/Quickbooks online a plus
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills
- Strong collaboration aptitude
Location, Compensation & Benefits
This is a full time exempt position with a salary range of $110,000 - $115,000 annually. Rates of pay within this range will be commensurate with experience and based on factors such as years of experience, educational qualifications, and proven success in finance roles. Fathers’ UpLift offers a generous benefits package including:
- 3 weeks of paid vacation
- 18 holidays
- 401k participation
- health and dental insurance
- long term disability insurance
- professional development opportunities
This is a remote position but must be located in the northeast United States
How To Apply:
Interested candidates are encouraged to promptly submit their application through our online portal. All applicants will receive a response to their application within two weeks of submission. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for support submitting your application. Candidates who advance should expect to have a phone interview with the recruitment team at Positively Partners, followed by a virtual interview with the hiring manager, Samantha Fils, and a final interview which will include opportunities to meet and engage with the Fathers’ UpLift staff more broadly. The expected start date is Winter 2023.
It is the policy of Fathers’ UpLift to assure equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants by prohibiting discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy (or a condition related to pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
©Copyright 2023 Positively Partners LLC