A little about us…
We are a statewide grassroots movement organization that fights for political, social, racial, economic and environmental justice. We work at the grassroots to give people a sense of their own power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities throughout New York to address critical issues at the local, state and federal levels.
We’re looking to add a Grants Writer to our team. The Grants Writer function is to oversee all foundation-based development efforts, offering support through the entire grant pipeline.
We take pride in hiring staff who share our values & characteristics.
- Passionate about issues of social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems
- A high degree of professionalism and professional maturity
- Strong ability to lead a team; lead multiple projects; to fruition and success
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different racial, ethnic, socio-economic, educational, religious, gender and generational backgrounds
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of backgrounds
The hiring process at our organization has multiple layers and steps to ensure we are hiring the folks that best fit our culture and organizational needs. Please be advised that this process may take up to two months to complete. During this time if you continue through our process, you’ll meet and speak with people from all areas of our organization.
Citizen Action is proud to be a unionized workplace in partnership with Worker Action. This position is a bargaining unit position.
Who you are and what you’ve accomplished:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in grant administration.
- Excellent writing skills to produce compelling content in a timely manner;
- write effective narrative, clear action plans and capture the stories of our work;
- collaborative team player who can both take and give leadership as well as self-motivated independent agent;
- maintains high degree of professionalism and confidentiality when handling sensitive information;
- highly organized and exceptionally detail-oriented;
- skilled at multitasking and able to work in a fast-paced environment with a keen sense of urgency; verifiable history of dependability and trustworthiness; pleasant demeanor and friendly personality.
- Must be comfortable using computer systems for tracking data and communicating.
What you’ll do and the impact you'll make:
- Project manage dozens of foundation grants on issues of affordable housing, educational equity, civic engagement, criminal justice reform, climate justice, and other priorities
- Write proposals and reports for future and current foundation funders, managing documentation for a multimillion dollar portfolio dedicated to advancing progressive issues in New York State
- Track the organization’s work for the purpose of completing grant reports, monitoring progress on completion of deliverables throughout year
- Store, organize, and manage grant financial documentation for annual audits, participating in weekly calls to track incoming disbursements and expected income
- Maintain the organization’s grants database, including oversight of dozens of deadlines, and ensure that those deadlines are met
- Review, edit, and proofread grant documents authored by senior staff, ensuring c3 and c4 compliance in reporting and work performed
- Manage senior staff involvement with funders, grant-writing, and proposal development
- Research and identify new opportunities for grants to supporting the organization’s work, driving interactions from cold outreach through introductory meetings and LOI submission
- Develop and maintain relationships with grant makers on behalf of the organization
- Any other duties as required by your supervisor
This position has no supervision responsibility.
- Working collaboratively in an organization at the forefront of building power across NYS
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid employee monthly medical and vision premiums
- Access to mental health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- 12 organization-paid holidays, generous vacation
- Biannual statewide staff meetings
Salary: The salary for this position is $55,000- $65,000 Depending on experience.
This position is 100% remote in NYS, although participation in annual all-staff meetings, occasional fundraising events, and team-building activities is mandatory. Therefore periodic travel is required across New York State as needed. Travel may include multiple day trips and over weekends and overnight.
Please note, all benefits are subject to change.
Citizen Action of NY and The Public Policy and Education Fund are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the most passionate people who want to join our team. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please let us know if you need assistance participating in the interview process.