Job Title: Chief of Membership Growth
Department: Membership Growth
Location: Oakland, CA; Washington, DC; or Remote
Reports To: Chief Strategy Officer
Supervises: Up to six people
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of interdependence. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel injustice, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our future. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it. Sierra Club has close to 800 staff across the country and a network of 64 local chapters that are led and fueled by thousands of volunteers. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with three labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Chief of Membership Growth will plan and oversee the execution of integrated strategies to grow the membership of Sierra Club and its chapters. Goals include building an engaged following using web, Sierra Magazine, email, mail, social and SMS to support local and national campaigns through advocacy, giving and joining local and national outings as well as creating pathways for sustained Member participation with the Club through chapter involvement and planned giving.
Specifically, this position will oversee five teams – Digital Strategies, Direct Response, Planned Giving, Chapter Fundraising, and Analytics. This person will lead, in deep partnership with other business units, a multi-channel approach to organic and paid acquisition and subsequent Member journeys to drive an increasingly positive and stable ROI.
This position will be part of a broader Strategy unit responsible for campaign strategy, organizational strategic planning, and major gift fundraising.
- Work with Campaign Strategies, Field, and Communications to design integrated cross channel strategies that delight Sierra Club members, recruit and retain donors, win victories, and build power
- Define Member prospecting strategy across all channels, leveraging first and third party data analysis
- Lead analysis to inform the development of enterprise audience cohort segmentation strategy and Member journeys
- Create unique member experiences based on cohort analytics to optimize engagement and interaction with the Sierra Club resulting in increased giving, advocacy, and outing attendance
- Oversee Member journey execution and measurement across all channels
- Work collaboratively with Operations to ensure that Member journeys can be deployed and measured within Sierra Club’s platforms like Salesforce. Oversee the automation of deployment using event-based triggers as needed
- Work with Field to serve as the top of the funnel for volunteers engaging with chapters, events, and attending local outings
- Work with IT and Field to implement a process for ensuring Member database is current and records contain key demographic information
- Align cross-channel testing and optimization strategies
- Ensure all vendors creating any part of the Member experience are aligned on audience segmentation, messaging, offer, cadence and measurement
A successful candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Deep understanding of an audience-first, ROI driven multi-channel approach to Membership programs
- Experience balancing Member journeys that span both National and Chapter engagements
- Knowledge of both traditional and digital media with a dedication to staying up to date on innovations in all channels
- Ability to coordinate vendors across programs
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, and able to apply critical thinking and constructive feedback to drive toward solutions and decisions quickly.
- Proven ability to use analytics to inform and influence decision-making.
- Time management and organizational skills. Ability to manage multiple projects, under deadlines, with changing priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced, environment
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this role is $230,000 - $260,000.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 1, exempt, non-represented, managerial position.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club People Department in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce belonging.
Please submit your application and resume here.
The Sierra Club provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to all staff members. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, lived experience and skills. The Sierra Club does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, immigration status, socioeconomic status, ancestry, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, familial status, veteran status, disability, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, prior conviction, arrest history, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Sierra Club values applicants who are people that identify as Black, Indigenous, and other minoritized groups; women; queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.