Boston Debate League is ready to expand and deepen our impact to elevate discourse across greater Boston. In the next five years, our strategic priorities include growing our programmatic work through current and new partnerships with schools and community organizations.
In order to achieve these goals, we are thrilled to announce a newly created position of Managing Director, Development (MD) to catalyze our philanthropic initiatives. The MD will be responsible for creating and implementing a strategic, innovative multi-year development plan to support the organization's growth goals and increase revenue streams, with a focus on major gifts and planned giving. The MD will report to the Executive Director and will work with the Senior Leadership team, Board of Directors, and staff to define and realize the organization's vision and direction for philanthropy.
To date, BDL’s funding has been a healthy mix of grants, individual, and corporate giving. We are proud to receive funding from organizations including the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, the Cummings Foundation, The New Commonwealth Racial Justice & Social Equity Fund and the state of Massachusetts. Revenue is also generated from programmatic services. As BDL looks to the future, our aim is to maintain support from foundations and grants and increase revenue through major gifts and earned income.
Fundraising, Relationship Building, and Stewardship
- Lead the development of the organization’s fundraising strategy, centering the organization’s commitment to its values including racial equity, and focusing on how the staff and Board of Directors can work to sustain and grow a robust and diverse community of supporters; track progress against strategy, refining and adapting as needed; ensure revenue targets are met
- Develop, steward, and sustain strategic relationships with current and prospective donors and other stakeholders that support the BDL’s mission and diversify BDL revenue streams, including individuals, foundations, corporations, legislators, and other potential giving entities in Boston
- Launch intentional planned giving program inviting consistent donors to include BDL in their estate plans
- Create a recognition program celebrating donors who make gifts of $1K or more and $10K or more, make multi-year commitments, and make planned and deferred gift provisions
- Employ a data-informed approach to strategy and execution, adjusting both as needed to ensure success
- In collaboration with administrative support personnel, strengthen and refine the infrastructure and systems to track external engagement, including financial reporting, prospect research, and donor/prospect record-keeping; prepare detailed reports of activity and progress toward goals for review by the Executive Director and Board of Directors on a regular basis
- Partner with the Director of External Affairs to pursue opportunities to promote the mission and programs of the BDL and to increase the profile of the organization in the greater Boston community
- Cultivate a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization; help staff understand how to recognize prospects and participate in the process of moving prospects and donors through the development cycle
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop a strong culture of participation and engagement with BDL stakeholders, identify potential donor opportunities, and advise on effective board governance regarding fundraising and organizational growth
- Develop and oversee Development Department budget
Staff Supervision and Professional Development
- Supervise a contract Grants Manager; help develop a grant application process and identify local and national grant opportunities in collaboration with the Grants Manager and the ED; potential to supervise additional Development Team members in the future
- Foster a culture of support, collaboration, high standards, shared accountability, and flexibility among the Development Team
- Facilitate cross-team collaboration on shared goals that authentically support program excellence
Senior Leadership and Strategic Vision
- Participate as an active member of the Senior Leadership Team, which includes the Executive Director, Managing Director of Programs, Managing Director of External Affairs, and Managing Director of Operations; work closely with the Senior Leadership Team to guide and manage the growth and direction of the BDL, champion the strategic plan, and foster positive staff culture
- Contribute productively to organization-wide strategic decision-making
- Act as liaison between the organization and a variety of external partners
- Participate in Board meetings, cultivate relationships with Board members, and serve as the staff lead on the Board Development Committee
As a member of the BDL organization as a whole, the Managing Director of Development:
- Participates in and occasionally leads staff meetings and contributes to the larger work of the organization, including strategic planning
- Engages in conversations related to the organization’s values, which include Racial and Social Equity and Diversity and Inclusion, and supports the implementation of programming that ensures that these values are upheld
To learn more including qualifications, benefits and more, please follow the link and apply!